ADD Coaching is:
- humanistic in nature. Clients are accepted unconditionally in their presenting situation.
- a collaboration and partnership. I honor your experience and perspective.
- is discovery. Are the present beliefs working for you?
- is about movement – guiding you to be in the flow of your life and toward the development and achievement of your goals.
- affirming of your right and capacity for self-direction.
- facilitating your goals.
- supporting of self-initiation.
- is preparatory – what will you do when x happens?
- is intentional.
- is reflective.
- is affirmative.
Coaching is based on a Five Stage Model for Change
Coaching is carried out in a safe environment for change to occur by:
- Promoting insight
- Promoting self-evaluation
- Making a commitment to act
- Identifying and avoiding situations that produce non-productive behaviors (i.e., being late)
- Using rewards for goal attainment
- Role playing
- Exploration of the problem/challenge from a different perspective
- Encouraging self-advocacy
- Encouraging supportive relationships both professional and personal
This definition of ADD Coaching describes the backbone of a coaching relationship. It is derived from a presentation at CHADD National 2009 in Cleveland, OH developed by Sandy Maynard.